Journal of Adolph G. Rosengarten, Jr. - January
- Apple-tree south of house given a very expert & careful pruning. Wet. Unpleasant day.
- The Jeaves & Dick Lloyd for tea.
- A heavy rain all day.
- A.G.R. Jr. to Oakland Club. Pineville, S.C. for a weeks moderate shooting. Brought back 29 quail.
- A.G.R. Jr. to Oakland Club for five days quial shooting: returned with 35 birds.
- Snow storm: returned from Wests at 11:00 AM.
- James Rudd Newlin christened at Old St. Peter's - AGR Jr god-fater & JNR god-moher.
- A.G.R. Jr. to Oakland for four days good shooting. Returned with 36 quail.
- A.G.R. Jr. & J.N.R. to Oakland: returned after 4 days for George Packard's funeral. At Oakland, Reese & Teen Patterson came over from Knoxville, Tenn.
- John C & Peggy Murphy here for the night from Chicago, & next day we went to Harry Dupont's Winterthur Museum at Wilmington, Del.
- A.G.R. Jr. at Oakland Club, Pineville, S.C. for a weeks quail shooting. Very few birds.
- James Rudd Newlin born at Chestertown, MD early today.
- Nini, Borge, Jenny, Beth came for lunch to see the new house.
- A.G.R. Jr. returned from Knoxville after six days with Teen & Ray Hayworth
- Ice on Mill Dam; so hockey game in PM.
- Warmest day on record w/ temp. at 62.5°. Jasmine brought in partially in bloom.
- A.G.R. Jr. returned from Oakland. 3 days with Samuel Patterson. Bad wather, 18 quail.
- Warm: 52° at 8:00 AM. Snow lmost all gone.
- A.G.R. Jr. & J.N.R. flew to Oakland Club, S.C. where we were joined by Reese Patterson: excellentshooting, good weather, but J.N.R. got flu coming home.
Bickers planted smooth bark hickory & "Ironwood" between here & Chanticleer.
- A.G.R. Jr. & J.N.R. returned from Oakland where we shot with Teen and Reese Patterson. Weather above average. Total kill was 68 quail.
- A.G.R. Jr. & J.N.R. returned from Oakland. Where we shot with Teen & Reese Patterson. Weather well below average. Total kill was 63 quail.
- A.G.R. Jr. returned from 5 days Oakland with Samuel Patterson: 38 kill.
- A.G.R. Jr. returned from 5 days Oakland with Morris Stroud: 22 quail.
- A.G.R. Jr. returned from 4 days Oakland with Morris Stroud: 15 quail.
- J.N.R. joined A.G.R. Jr. at Columbus, Georgia. We shared 1444 Broadway with Grahame & Emilie Wood.
- Jay Cooke and AGR Jr. to Oakland Club, South Carolina to shoot quail. We left about 4: PM in a snow storm & during week we were gone. Weather atrocious.
- A.G.R. Jr. & J.N.R. to Oakland Club. Poor weather, cold & rainy. To the Wedge at Charleston with the Woodwards on way home returning Jan. 20th.
- Ditto, Except we atayed in Charleston only & returned Jan. 19th.
- A.G.R. Jr. & J.N.R. to Oakland, where joined by Teen & Reese Patterson. returning this day w/ 30 quail. Jan 9th record low for S.C. 12°.
- A.G.R. Jr. with G-2 Section First U.S. Army, promoted Lt. Col. Aus.
- American Linden - 6" caliper - planted N.W. of porch: replaced old Elm.
- A.G.R. Jr. & JNR returned from Oakland, where we had the Pattersons for five days. Best shooting ever: Patterson took 32 quail, the R's 44 & a woodchuck.
- -8°F at Minder House at 7:30 AM.
- The Wests came for dinner.
- First real snowfall of the year; about 1-1/2 - 2 in.
- A.G.R. Jr. & J.N.R. closed 82 A Ingalls Road, Fort Monroe Va and came home on leave on change of station from C.B.S.
- Snow: about 3 to 4 in.
- A.G.R. Jr. & JNR at Thomasville, N.C. for a week's quail shooting. As there was both rain & snow, the shooting was very poor.
- One & sixty-nine one hundreth acr eof ground on Church Road added to Minder House today.
- Ivy Moor [Joe Moor] Contractors Inc. began excavating new pond on 2 acres formerly Harrison's, & filling the old one.
- Circa 11:00 PM ice storm began. Very heavy damage by next AM.
- A.G.R. Jr. confined to house with blister on left heel acquired about two days before xmas. Damn nuisance.
- A.G.R. Jr. returned from 3 days shooting at Thomasville, N.C.
- A.G.R. Jr. & J.N.R. returned from five days at Oakland with Reese & Teen Patterson: Excellent shooting & we brought home 48 quail.
- Ledlie Borgerhoff from Princeton & Bard College for the weekend.
- Excess temp. since Jan 1st is 156 deg. ; rainfall 0.84 in.
- Leo & Susannah Quinn departed & Harry & Daisy Wilde entered our employ at $140.00 for mo.
- Very mild, in fact a warm winter so far. Crocus & tulips are definitely showing in some places perhaps up an 1".
Dr. & Mrs. Newlin, Nickie & Nini came for dinner. First time as a family.
Snow in early morning - turning to rain.
A.G.R. Jr. returned from two weeks at Oakland: joined by JNR & Morris Stroud for last week. Weather passable & shooting only fair.
At 7:15 AM this morning temperature at front door -10°
A record low: -7°F at Airport & -14°F at our front door at 7:30 AM.
- Coal hot-water heater removed & gas hot-water installed in its place.
- Very cold. -2° at 7:00 AM. Clear at 9:00 PM for 90% eclipse of moon.
- Moore's Nurseries began planting Maackia amurensis just W. of terrace & finished (cont. on Jan 19th)
- More snow, turning to steady rain during most of day.
- Heavy snow storm began early this morning: changed to hail & ended in fine snow.
- Temp at 7:00 AM was 8°: coldest day this winter.
- Cold: 2° at 7:00 AM.
- End of a very cold week: furnace in trouble, but quickly fixed by A. Hacker.
- (Cont. from Jan 18th) at 3:00 PM today. Just in time as heavy snow began about 8:00 AM.
- Continued cold: 0° at 7:15 AM.
- A.G.R. Jr. Caterer at Rabbit: 31 for lunch, 21 for dinner.
- Wests, Keiths, Penny & R. Gibbon came to dinner. Our first formal dinner. Martini's, Zeltinger Berg (Liquor Stores), Brandy, Rye & Irish Whiskey.
- Snow ended at 7:30 AM at least 14" fall. Followed by a cold wave.
- J.N.R. & A.G.R. Jr. returned from a week at Oakland with Reese & Teen Patterson with 45 quail & a wood chuck: the Pattersons took 34 to Knoxville, Tenn.
- E.T. Williams, Warden of Rhodes House, Oxford, spent the night.
- By mid-afternoon blizzaed had dropped 14" snow.
- Beginning today & continuing until Feb. 4th temperature has been continually below freezing. A total of 13 consecutive.
- 0° at 7:30 AM.
- Circa mid-night or an hour there after i.e. 22 Jan. AGR Jr. returned from Oakland. Fair shooting: AGR Jr. 22 quail: HRN Jr. 12 & M.S.W. 8.
- Snow began this morning.
- A.G.R. Jr. & J.N.R. to Oakland till 26th, then to Woodward's The Wedge for weekend & home 28th. Fair quail shooting.
- First snow of the winter: began 8 PM & continued until 6/8" accumulated.
- Bickers began cleaning out & burning poor trees on new property Brooke Road.
- At 7:30 AM -10°F.
- Snow continues.
- Very cold. Official temp -2° at 9:00 AM. Local experts report -10°.
- AGR Jr. & JNR left for Washington, D.C.
- R.H. Johnsons & Co.'s bull dozer here this week. Clump of walnut & ash trees on Brooke Road w/ boulders pushed out to make room for clump of spruces etc. to follow. Also some trees & stumps on Church Road fired dug out.
- Snow stopped early today. Depth of 20 in. Very cold & snowed in for the day.
- Lath or slat house against old stable & next to greenhouse completed.
- Snow from 8 AM to 8:00 PM dropped 13". Heaviest since 1983.
- Very cold. -4° at 7:00 AM.
- Very warm, offical high in Phila. 59° at 3:00 PM.
- AGR Jr. to Thomasville, N.C. where there was too much snow for good shooting.
- 74° at 4:00 PM an all time January high. AGR Jr left for Thomasville, N.C. until Feb 1st. J.N.R. joined the party there on Jan. 29th. Rain, hence poor shooting bur good fun.
- Harold and Marian Fry entered our employ.
- Another snow storm: 4".
- Drains in swamp between drive & AGR's line opened; the creek down the middle, opened. Trees & rocks along Brooke Road are being removed.
- Continued cold. -4° at 7:00 AM.
- A.G.R. Jr. to Thomasville, N.C. for the last three days of quail shooting. Very mediocre. J.N.R. & Helen West to Atlantic City for two days.
- Twenty people for a buffet supper after the S.P.S. Evening Service at St. Davids.
- Cold & frost. Ground frozen until ? Whew, oh about middle of April.
- AGR Jr & J.N.R. to Boston for a week.
- A.G.R. Jr. & G.R. Packard to Thomasville, N.C. for last two days shooting. Very cold.
- Cold which began in Jan. 17th continues: at 7:30 AM temp. was -3°.
- The blizzard of 66 began 29th & continued till 3:00 PM today. 10' fine snow with high winds reated heavy drifts. Rainfall for month 2.8", defec. .5".
- Defeciency this month 35°. Precipitation 4.21 in. (mostly snow)
- Defeciency this month 79°. A.G.R. Jr. left for Saranac.
- Very warm month: excess temp. 270°: like wise very wet, precipitation 5.04 in.
- Excess temp. for month 41°; defeciency of rainfall 0.98 in.
- Defeciency of temp. for month 216°; very cold but no snow to speak of.
- Excess for the month approx 200°.
- A/C cold spell which began on 24th, defeciency for month 70°. 6" frost in ground.
- Very cold since the 21st. Defeciency for month -252°.
- Defeciency for month -296°.
- Snowfall 23.4" (second on record), rainfall 8.86". The record.
- A.G.R. Jr. & J.N.R. returned Oakland: poor shooting. Ray & Teen Hayworth with us.
Wednesday - Sunday
10am - 5pm
Early Openings in 2017
The garden will open at 8:00am on
May 6th, June 3rd, July 1st, August 5th,
September 2nd, and October 7th. .
News & Events
Mother's Day News
Due to anticipated large crowds, there will be no picnicking on Mother's Day, Sunday, May 14th.
The Art of Gardening
The Art of Gardening, is available at book sellers everywhere, including Amazon.
Chanticleer In the News
High praise from
The New York Times,
Chicago Tribune, Garden Design,
St. Catharines Standard, and FlipKey by Trip Advisor.